Top 15 Coconut Oil Nutritional Benefits
Coconuts are classified as a “super food” producing a magical ingredient called coconut oil. Benefits are seemingly endless.
Organic coconut oil contains an abundance of nutrients like vitamins and fatty acids that not only help give your hair shine and make your skin glow, but also help boost immunity and fight off infections. Although coconuts are mainly cultivated in tropical areas, their use has no limitations or boundaries.
Now-a-days many people are adding organic coconuts oil in their daily diet in various ways to spike their nutritional intake. So the question is; should you jump aboard the train to get these coconut oil benefits?
Here are the top 15 scientifically proven coconut oil benefits
- Heart disease: Organic coconut oil protects your heart health. Coconut oil is rich in unsaturated or good fats. Unlike saturated fats, these help reduce the level of cholesterol and save you from heart wreck and other heart diseases.
- Improves gut health: Using coconut oil for cooking helps improve and regulate digestion. Organic coconut oil helps absorb calcium, omega-3 fatty acid, magnesium and fat soluble vitamins from the gut. Organic coconut oil has antimicrobial action thus prevents infection and ulceration in the gut.
- Immunity boost: Lauric acid is a nutritional component of coconut oil. It helps create a hostile environment for the viruses, bacteria and fungus, which in turn helps improve health and boost immunity.
- Weight loss: The calories in organic coconut oil come from MCTs (medium chain triglycerides) that can increase the energy expenditure compared to other calories of same amount. A study published in the medical journal Obesity showed that the ketone bodies released from the digestion of organic coconut oil help curb appetite. Another research showed that medium chain fatty acids help improve the breakdown of body fat.
- Prevents kidney problems: Using organic coconut oil helps clear up urinary tract infections. That’s because the MCTs in organic coconut oil disturb the lipid layer of bacteria and kill them. Organic coconut oil also helps dissolve kidney stones.
- Reduces inflammation: Organic coconut oil contains an abundance of nutrients like antioxidants. These antioxidants help reduce inflammation and relieve arthritis pain.
- Cancer prevention: Newer research has now shown that increased oxidative stress is a key player in cancer formation. Ketone bodies from organic coconut oil help scavenge these free radicals and offer protection against different cancer types.
- Prevents gum disease: The MCTs in organic coconut oil help kill bacteria, prevent periodontal disease and cleanse the oral cavity.
- Energy boost: Organic coconut oil produces energy that sustains the body longer and accelerates the metabolism rate. The MCTs in organic coconut oil are directly sent to the liver for their conversion into energy.
- Hormone balance: If you’ve just hit menopause, you’d know that it is not an exciting experience at all. You face a lot of issues with menopause like hot flushes and depression. These issues are mainly due to decreasing estrogen levels. But coconut oil is here for your rescue! A study conducted at the University of San Carlos, Cebu City, Philippines showed that organic coconut oil can help stabilize estrogen levels in menopausal females.
- Prevents osteoporosis: Oxidative stress and reduced calcium concentration in the body are the two main causes of osteoporosis. Organic coconut oil contains an abundance of antioxidants and it also helps with the absorption of calcium from the gut. A study conducted at the University of Kebangsaan Malaysia showed that organic coconut oil helps prevent bone resorption and at the same time improves bone volume and structure.
- Improves type 2 diabetes: The ketones released by the digestion of organic coconut oil help balance out the insulin and cell interaction and decreases the load on your pancreas. That’s particularly useful if you’ve type 2 diabetes.
- Anti-aging benefits: Organic coconuts oil boosts the level of antioxidants in your body. Like many other things, oxidative stress is the main reason for aging too. Organic coconut oil helps camouflage the sings of aging like wrinkles and dark spots. The antioxidants in coconut oil give it the ability to do so.
- Alzheimer’s disease: In Alzheimer’s disease the brain loses its ability to use up glucose efficiently. Your body turns the MCTs from organic coconut oil into ketones. Ketones are one of the few things that can easily enter into your brain. Your brain can use these ketones and they can therefore protect your brain from damage.
- Prevents liver problems: The digestion of other fats overworks your liver. But the main fat type in organic coconut oil is medium chain fatty acids. These fatty acids are broken down easily and therefore reduce the burden on your liver.
Clean eating and coconut oil enthusiast
“My weight has never been better since adding coconut oil to my diet. My appetite is back under control and the topical uses for hair, skin, teeth and weight loss are nothing short of a miracle!”