Coconut Oil Pulling For Teeth – The Ultimate How-To Guide
Coconut oil pulling is an ancient therapy that uses organic coconut oil to detoxify and clean teeth and gums. It has the bonus outcome of whitening teeth naturally and even research has shown that it is beneficial in improving gums and removing cavity causing bacteria.
The central idea is that organic coconut oil is swished about in oral cavity for some time every day and this action helps improve dental health. As is the case with oil cleansing for skin, the code of “like dissolves like” is applicable here too. Organic coconut oil is able to cut through the layer of plaque and do away with toxins without disturbing gums or teeth.
Basically, coconut oil pulling is a technique involving use of high quality organic coconut oil as a mouthwash to facilitate the cleansing of the oral cavity. The term “pulling” can be confusing when it comes to teeth but it refers to the principle that organic coconut oil is pulling bacteria from teeth and gums.
Coconut oil pulling functions by cleaning or detoxifying your mouth in a similar way that soap cleans dirty, oily utensils. It practically sucks the dirt and toxins out of your oral cavity and creates a clean, sterile oral environment that adds to the appropriate flow of dental liquid that is required to prevent cavities and disease.
Benefits of Coconut Oil Pulling
During coconut oil pulling process, the organic coconut oil clings to the plaque or the bio-film on teeth and decreases the number of germs in mouth. Streptococcus Mutans is among the cavity causing organisms that is active in mouth and it has been known for its part in tooth decay and gum disease. Coconut oil pulling has been known to lower the number of Streptococcus Mutans bacteria in oral cavity, especially when done with organic coconut oil.
Some studies say that coconut oil pulling can help in treating a wide range of maladies; everything from sore throats to acne and even cardiac disease, though there has not been substantial scientific research on these claims. It is a well established fact that good oral health hygiene and practices can benefit the body in multiple ways, so coconut oil pulling definitely may be valuable as part of a good oral health regime.
Coconut oil pulling is an extremely effective dental procedure that has been practiced for centuries as a traditional remedy to:
- Cure dental decay
- Prevent bad breath and foul odor in mouth
- Heal bleeding, diseased gums
- It prevents cardiac disease
- To reduce inflammation in mouth
- To whiten teeth
- To soothe sore, dry throat
- To protect teeth from cavities
- To heal cracked lips
- To strengthen gums and jaw
Why Organic Coconut Oil?
Traditionally, people usually used sesame seed oil for oil pulling but organic coconut oil is becoming more and more popular in this regard.
Organic coconut oil is potent in combating Streptococcus Mutans bacteria, which causes cavities. It is rich in medium chain triglycerides and has high content of lauric acid.
Organic coconut oil has dozens of uses, so it is readily available in nearly every household.
How to Use Organic Coconut Oil for Oil Pulling
- Put about one to two teaspoons of organic coconut oil in your mouth.
- Swish around for about twenty minutes. The timing is a crucial factor. According to Dr. Bruce Fife, author of the book Oil Pulling Therapy, this duration is long enough to penetrate through bacteria and plaque but not long enough that your system starts re-absorbing bacteria and toxins. The oil will become thicker and milky white as it gets mixed with saliva during swishing and it should be creamy-white when you spit it out.
- Spit oil into the trash can, not sink. Do not swallow the oil as it would be full of toxic material and dirt.
- After spitting, wash oral cavity well with warm water. Warm water seems to clean the mouth better or swish salt water around.
- After coconut oil pulling, brush your teeth and gums properly.
Coconut Oil Pulling Cautions
It is important to know that coconut oil pulling is efficient as a part of a comprehensive dental health routine and should not be regarded as a replacement for usual dental hygiene such as flossing and teeth brushing. Organic coconut oil is a safe substitute to mouthwash and is effective when used together with other regular dental hygiene methods.
Some individuals have reported negative reactions to using organic coconut oil for coconut oil pulling. As with this or any therapeutic product, it is vital to check with your dentist about any concerns you might have regarding use of organic coconut oil or coconut oil pulling, particularly if other dental conditions already exist.
So have you tried this and have you noticed a difference…please share your experiences in the comments below!
Clean eating and coconut oil enthusiast
“My weight has never been better since adding coconut oil to my diet. My appetite is back under control and the topical uses for hair, skin, teeth and weight loss are nothing short of a miracle!”